Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tune into Technology: Getting Techy with Reading

Today I have a duel linkup for you again! Just think, more blogs that you can be exposed to if you haven't found them already!

First up, we have Michelle from Big Time Literacy! She is running a month long blogging challenge so today we are on day #8!

Photobucket

I'm also linking up with Kristin, from iTeach 1:1 for their Tune into Technology Tuesday. This is a great way to share ideas about how you integrate technology into various content areas. Check out her site for the schedule!
 
 
 
Today's Tune into Technology topic is.......Reading!

This past year, my school/district started following the Reading Workshop instructional method by Lucy Calkins. My goal this year was to do the best I could to combine my passion of technology, with her units of study. So below, you will find some examples of how we used tech during our reading instruction, but feel free to visit the 1:1 Reading tab on my blog for even more ideas.

1) One of my big plunges this past year was getting my 5th graders to blog. I thought they may find more meaning in their responses if they had the opportunity to share their thoughts with the world. One easy way I also tried to connect with today's techy learners was to incorporate hashtags. This really ignited the light bulb in their head, it was something they had seen and could relate to. So, they used their hashtag about something or a section in their book to be their inspiration for their blog.
As for blogging, my students used Blogger. It connected perfectly with their student Google account, so we jumped in, in hopes they could hold onto it and expand upon it for future grades.


2) Another challenge I faced this year was transitioning my 5th graders into the format of a group mini lesson on the floor. This was something I found they really struggled with to sit there, mostly because of their age. I saw a Tweet come out about a program called Nearpod, so I decided to investigate and give it a try. I began practicing with it in math, getting them used to the program before introducing it into reading, they really liked it! Mostly because it is a slide-show format that keeps them all on the same page, then they can answer confidently at their own table on the dry erase portion without the worry of their neighbor seeing what they wrote.

So, the time came to giving it a try in class, coincidentally it was also the same day I was being observed. ha ha I played with a few more options this time, giving my administrator an advanced warning. Using technology, you never know what may happen. The students brought their iPads to the mini lesson and we had a discussion about character point of view. Students annotated text from the book, watched videos from Disney films, and held discussions with one another about what they viewed. This got them really excited and engaged!


3) My third idea I want to share with you today is just giving your kids the option to have fun with the technology and reading. The reading workshop is about sharing and there are a ton of apps and websites on the devices that allow them to do that. I had students that loved to create advertisements for their books using iMovie or comic making programs, some preferred apps like Tellagami, iStopMotion or Puppet Pals






11 comments:

  1. First - Your post really goes with mine on student blogging today! Thanks for sharing your story!

    Second - Thank you for sharing that blog - I will be following!

    Third - I love the way you try new things with the iPads - can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meagan! I loved having the students blog, but I will definitely be spending more time training them in the years to come.

      Delete
  2. I love how you integrate technology so seamlessly into your lessons! I only hope to be that tech-savvy one day! Love it!

    Rachel
    Kindergarten Kraziness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so many great ideas in this post! My fourth graders also loved blogging this past year. I would love to see more posts about Nearpod. I'm very interested in trying it this year, especially since I am going from laptops to iPads. Do you have all iPads? I'm excited to check out all the resources on your blog. Thanks so much for linking up!:)

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I really did like using Nearpod. I know after seeing them at ISTE, they have made some improvements to make it easier to add lessons in too. I had previously taught on laptops for 3 years before switching to iPads, by choice, last year. I am so glad I made the switch too because I really love the iPads. Good luck with them next year!

      Delete
  4. So many things to take away from how you are incorporating technology into your reading block! I love that you incorporated hashtags into your students blogging. What a perfect way for them to have fun and pick out key words to hashtag. Glanced at Tellagami definitely going to be looking more into that as it seems first grade friendly and I can see my kiddos doing lots with it! Thanks so much for sharing and for linking up!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! There are so many different ways to use all of the programs. The primary students always amaze me with how quickly they pick up everything.

      Delete
  5. Great post--were the kids blogs available for public consumption? or was it just in house (on a secured site)? I'm going to have to check out StopMotion, my kids love using toontastic, which is a bit like that--so now they'll get to choose.

    Do you never have any parents responding back on the blogs?

    Thanks Michelle,
    Matt

    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt!

      I very much debated which program I wanted to use for blogging. When I taught 4th, kidblog was what I defaulted to since they were a year younger. Ideally, I wanted to teach them in 5th how to do the html side, but we just never had time since I was so focused on getting them to handle blogging etiquette. So, as you know with blogger, it does give you the option on security. I first kept it as private and then eventually expanded their public wings. All the students followed each other and there was a 5th grade blogging challenge we were going to participate in. We definitely encouraged families to participate on our blogs, but unfortunately didn't have the response. One thing I need to work on next year is better marketing the writing to encourage communication more. Even if it is just between students in the school.

      My students loved Toontastic as well! I had one student who loved using iStopmotion to make her own lego movies for math. I was always impressed how she put those together so quickly.

      Delete
  6. I just did my Tune into Technology post regarding Tellagami. Such a great app and I know that my students are going to look forward to using it! :)

    Turtley Loving Teaching
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of my students loved using it for book reviews just like yours! Have you tried linking it with Aurasma? There was a new favorite app in my classroom this year.

      Delete