Saturday, July 12, 2014

Catching up!

This is horrible that time has completely strayed away and I haven't had the chance to blog the last 3 days. So, you are going to get the Thursday, Friday and Saturday blogging challenge all in one.

For those of you who aren't following, I'm linking up with Michelle, from Big Time Literacy for her Big Time Blogging Challenge. Each day there is a different topic, should you decide to follow along for the month of July. If not, you can blog about whatever applies to you.


Photobucket

For the purpose of the chaotic last few days, I'm going to stick to the blogging calendar.

Thursday's topic = Who are your teaching idols?
I don't think that there is a specific individual who I look up to. I think my idols in teaching could be a mix of various qualities. One quality, are those in my district who gave me the opportunity to experiment and showcase what I know, but to also help me in learning even more. I've been very lucky to attend various state, country and district PDs. We have a lot of talents in our district alone and I'm very grateful for that. If I want to learn more about a specific topic, there is always someone I can contact.

Another quality in an idol are those who I follow on Twitter that really push the limits to try new things and engage students even more. Sometimes teachers are afraid to try what they read about because they are restricted to a specific map. I feel that teachers learn, just like students. You have to be hands on and you have to almost experiment with your lessons. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, but that is why we reflect on the experience and we can grow as an individual. Some of those who I like to follow on Twitter for new ideas are Paul Hamilton, Brad Waid, Drew Minock, Paul Solarz, Scott Hagedorn and many more. Anyone who is willing to experiment with the intentions of what is best for the student population is an idol to me.

Friday's topic = How would your students describe you?

If you were to ask my students what they thought of me, I think most of them would say that I am too relaxed and patient. The one thing about the way I ran my classroom is that it is very relaxed. I don't yell, nor do I enjoy shouting going on. It always made me cry as a student when a teacher yelled at me, so why would I do it to them? My students and I spend so much time in our room, that I want it to be a comfortable learning environment. I try to make sure the space is as relaxing as possible, we even have a futon and benches to sit on. Pillows can be enjoyed on the floor and some plans for some butterfly chairs next year and stools.

I think my students would also describe me as techy. Around the school, the students very much know me for my experimentation with the technology and for running the school digital newsletter. It's no doubt, that when they show up on my class list for the next year that they know to expect a lot of technology integration into our daily use.


Saturday's topic = Share about your most important friendships.

Since this blog is about education, I would like to turn this topic onto the friendships at school. Having previously worked in a very high paced business environment before going into teaching, it was very competitive and you had to play the game well to maintain friendships and not get looked over in the office.  It's that same kind of even playing field that I brought with me into education. I think it is extremely important to get along with everyone in the building, even if you aren't always on the same page because you will learn something valuable from everyone.

The one thing that I always talk to others about our school building is the family environment that we have. Each wedding, baby shower, birthday, graduations, house purchase and so forth is always a celebration by all. We are so supportive and encouraging of one another and I know that is unique to other districts around. We are just colleagues, we are family and I feel the same way about many other members in our district that I have grown to know. When you respect one another for the educator that they are, it goes along way. Even with my administrators, I never felt that I was looked down on, there was always a common ground where I could easily approach them to discuss ideas I had without fear. I'm very thankful on a daily basis for the friendships that have blossomed at school. I look forward to summer PDs not just because I will learn something I am interested in, but because I know I will get to see individuals I have missed seeing over summer break.



3 comments:

  1. I tend to fall behind too! Sometimes life just gets in the way!
    ☺Jody

    Camp Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your school faculty is just like mine--one big family. It makes such a difference to know that your teammates, admin and everyone else "has your back".

    I might need to hit you up for some technology ideas! Our district is very "tech-friendly" and even though I use technology myself, I have such a hard time seamlessly integrating it with my students! We don't have 1:1 technology available but I have 5 desktops in my room and access to a grade level laptop cart and a few iPads. Teach me your techy ways!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin, I would be happy to help you anytime! You don't have to be 1:1 to do some amazing things. Feel free to contact me directly with any questions that you have. :)

      Delete