Tuesday, July 15, 2014

21st Century Learners

The one great thing about this blogging challenge for July, is it is really guiding me to focus and think about what I want to accomplish next year.

Today's topic from the Big Time Blogging Challenge is about memorable students. Well, there are too many to share. So, I will turn to something that was memorable to them this year and reflect on that.

Photobucket

As a 5th grade teacher, one of the celebrations that my students get to experience is their 5th Grade Farewell. Following tradition, the students each stand in front of the 5th grade families and faculty sharing their memories of their learning journey so far in our district. It is definitely a test for their public speaking skills! I know I would have been nervous as a 5th grader!

Anyways, one topic that came up quite often from my students was that one of their favorite things was Passion Time. Some may also know of it as Genius Hour or 20% time.

While I still experiment to figure it out myself and how to best implement it, I always turn to great resources to guide me more. One educator, who I had the privilege of observing in his own classroom, was Paul Solarz. If you haven't visited his site, please do! I heard of him through a faculty member that I work with. He had setup an observation and kindly asked me to join him. I'm so glad I went! We were fortunate to gain a previous faculty member of Paul's at our school, Allison LaFalce, who is also very knowledgeable about the topic, so I spent many times picking her brain.

Besides visiting websites and blogs, this summer I've turned to some books. I found these books recommended on the Genius Hour website. Before actually purchasing them as resources for myself, I hit my local library to see what I could get my hands on. So far I've obtained...

1. Creating Innovators by: Tony Wagner
 http://edex.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/body_images/171436881.JPG
2. Drive by: Daniel H. Pink (Very recommended from poster sessions I saw at ISTE)
 http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61MnRyNuIDL.jpg
3. Invent to Learn by: Sylvia Libow Martinez & Gary Stager, Ph.D.
 http://www.inventtolearn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/3d-invent-to-learn.png
4. 21st Century Skills by: Bernie Trilling & Charles Fadel


http://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Publication/60/9a/f5/mzi.dshdqmpp.225x225-75.jpg

Now, I selected to read Creating Innovators first, however my trouble has been finding the time to actually read. Between house hunting, working virtual summer school (I know, you would think piece of cake) and my daughter's schedule, by the time I have a few quiet minutes, I pass out. From what I have read about Creating Innovators, I've really enjoyed. I'll keep you updated as I move forward, however I think any of the books above would be a great start for getting your kids to just have the drive and motivation in class to learn. If you have read one of the books above, or know of another I haven't grabbed yet, I'd love to know your thoughts!




No comments:

Post a Comment