Sunday, July 6, 2014

Summer Getaways

Linking up again with Michelle, from Big Time Literacy for her July Big Time Blogging Challenge. Check it out if you haven't had the chance!


Photobucket


Today's topic for day #6 is... Summer vacation plans!

This year, we don't have a whole lot planned for family vacations. We had anticipated a flight back to London to visit my in-laws and friends, but that was put on hold as we are saving for a house.

I would definitely consider my surprise visit to ISTE as a summer getaway. The unexpected trip that was also an incredible learning experience is surely a getaway to me. Even if my brain was about to explode after an hour in there. ha ha

As for upcoming, the only other major trip we have set is to visit family up in Michigan. We have many family members who live near Brighton, MI, and they arranged for us to have a family reunion. Since many are spread out between Michigan, Alaska, Texas and Illinois, this gives us a chance to reconnect since most of my extended family I haven't seen for over 10 years.

While we are headed up that way, we also help to visit the Detroit area and spend a day there before traveling back. We are very close to the Canadian border, but I would much rather plan a trip back when we can spend an extended amount of time up north.

Hopefully next week I will get back onto the technology blogging bandwagon. Recuperating from ISTE along with the holiday weekend took longer than expected to get back into the swing of things. I guess if anything, I can relate this family trip to social media. It allows us to stay together, even if there is a large distance between us. Instant feedback, even though handwritten letters are still a treat to receive. I've always loved using global connections in my classroom as much as I can, giving my students that learning experience of the other cultures around them. ePals is one of my favorite organizations for penpals, but Skype and Google Hangouts are great for a quick 30 minute learning experience if you can't devote a year to distance learning. :)



2 comments:

  1. Family reunions are so much fun! Enjoy that time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just got back from Vancouver! And yes, recovery time is important.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete