Thursday, January 9, 2014

That's Genius!

Nearly every educator who loves teaching with technology has heard of the two famous words "Passion Time" or "Genius Hour" at some point trailing its way through Twitter.

A colleague of mine introduced me to the topic from a conference he attended. It automatically intrigued me and I couldn't stop reading about it. I was referred to the website of Paul Solarz. If you haven't had a chance to meet him or follow his blog/website or Twitter handle, I highly encourage you to do so! (He also has some great information on Mystery Skyping) Mr. Solarz' Website

I had the privilege of being invited to observe Mr. Solarz' students in action, thanks to a colleague of mine, and I am so happy I took him up on his offer. I was blown away by what I saw!

I think many times we get caught up in education with making sure we follow workshops or curriculums that we forget about the students, even though we are trying to help them. One of the great things about common core, is that you can still hit various informational reading/writing standards by allowing the students to explore their own interest.

Passion time is just that, a passion....I couldn't have been more excited to introduce this to my students.

In our writing workshop, we are currently working on informational pieces. I thought this couldn't have been a more perfect time to introduce the idea to them. What better way to strengthen their research writing, but by allowing them to research something they are truly passionate about. Eventually down the road, our passion time will turn into Genius Hour. Right now it works out perfectly because of our unit of study, but in the future students will have that "hour" of time dedicated to them a week where they can purely research the essential questions that intrigue their brain.

Mr. Solarz explains the process very clearly on his website above. I think the important thing is to modify the idea to however you can fit it into your plans and routine.

My first general steps....
1. Have the students brainstorm questions that they have about their interests. (I showed many examples of what Mr. Solarz' students had completed over the year)
2. Narrow those questions down to their top 3. Conference with students to construct an essential question.
3. Since it was writers workshop, we began with an on demand writing piece. You could just dive into their prior knowledge with a chart.
*4. This is where we are right now...I wanted a platform where my students could share their ideas, almost like an electronic portfolio. So, after break, each student began constructing their own google site.

I'm excited to take you along on our journey as well! I look forward to hearing any advice or feedback that you may have from experience too.











No comments:

Post a Comment