Thursday, April 30, 2015

No computer lab? STEAM to the rescue!

As we all know, sometimes PARCC testing can cause a mixup to our weekly routine schedules. In my case, that meant losing my computer lab due to it having to be used by classes for PARCC. Boy, I can't wait until my buildings are fully 1:1 next year!

While I may have been disappointed to lose my lab at first, it was one of the best things that could have happened for my classes! Not only was I able to push into their learning environment, which I rarely have time to visit with my schedule, but I was able to dive into more STEAM based activities as I became the traveling technology teacher for 3 weeks.

So what did I exactly have up my sleeves? 4 weeks of fun that not only challenged students, but focused on team work and reflection!

I began by introducing the challenges to the students with an iMovie. My video reviewed the meaning of STEAM, but then had short videos announcing the resources we would be using during this time. This really sparked their interest and their level of excitement began to rise.

Students were broken into groups of 5. I allowed them to pick their groups because I've always been a firm believer that the choice helps students stay motivated. Since we were without digital devices during these few weeks, I printed reflection packets that were handed out to each group. Yes, I know....I PRINTED! I felt out of my comfort zone standing at the copy machine prepping for this lesson when I try really hard to remain paperless.

Getting back to the excitement.....the students were to complete rotations between 4 different STEAM based activities.

1. Architecture Challenge - non-digital hands on problem solving (this one rotated weekly)
2. Big Sphero 6 - students learned how to navigate and build obstacles for our new Spheros.
3. Makey Makey - students shared 2 Makey Makey kits to connect and create.
4. littleBits - using electronic circuits to accomplish a variety of challenges

Not only were students rotating activities each week, but they were also rotating leadership positions within their group. One thing I've noticed throughout the year, was that teamwork was something that needed a focus, encouraging more collaboration and sharing of ideas.

Each group received a labeled envelope with an activity direction sheet enclosed. For the most part, there weren't too many directions to the activities, more so starters to push each group to explore without requiring a teacher to walk them through.

Overall, I'm glad I took the time to plan all of this out. My students and faculty enjoyed the change in instruction. This also opened the door for students being aware of the resources we have for them to explore further during our Innovation Lab (20% time).




No comments:

Post a Comment